Bean, Bacon and Squash Chowder
2 541 ml cans canellini beans or white navy beans
1 lb thick cut applewood (or other) smoked bacon cut into pieces 1/4 “ (1/2cm) thick
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups fresh squash cut in 1/2 inch cubes
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of ground thyme
Dash of ground clove
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
1 cup cream
1/2 cup Chardonnay
1. Cook the bacon to your desired texture.
2. Drain off all but 1/2 cup bacon drippings.
3. Add onions and celery to the reserved grease and bacon and sauté until soft. Do not drain.
4. Add stock, beans, bay leaf, salt, pepper, cloves, nutmeg, thyme and cream. Simmer for 1 hour.
5. Stir in the squash and cook for another 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
6. Add the Chardonnay and continue to stir.
7. Add salt and pepper.
8. Serve with rustic bread and a glass of Chardonnay. Servings: 4-6
SERVE WITH CONCHA Y TORO TRIO CHARDONNAY
This fresh flavour but well textured Chardonnay is the ideal accompaniment for Chowder or simply enjoy a glass on its own to take off the chill of a cold winter’s day.