(POSTED: September 22, 2006)
Chicken Manicotti with Chive Cream Sauce
Broccoli and pimiento add vivid colors to the tasty chicken filling that spills from these pasta shells.
12 packaged dried manicotti shells
1 8-ounce container soft-style cream cheese with chives and onion
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (10 ounces)
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1/2 of a 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and sliced,
or one 4-ounce jar diced pimiento, drained
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook the manicotti shells according to package directions. Drain shells; rinse with cold water. Drain again.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small heavy saucepan melt cream cheese over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth. Stir in Romano or Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
3. For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together 3/4 cup of the sauce, the chicken, broccoli, roasted red sweet pepper or pimiento, and pepper. Using a small spoon, carefully fill each manicotti shell with about 1/3 cup of the filling.
4. Arrange the filled shells in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with foil.
5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and stuff manicotti. Pour sauce over shells. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and chill up to 12 hours. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens